Thursday, January 05, 2012

Postcard from Ellensburg

There is a special little section of Washington State where I used to go every October to photograph when I called that state home. It is located just south of Ellensburg and yielded some wonderful Autumn images over the years. It had country roads loaded with trees, small farms, a river, ponds, nature trails and more. A few images from there became best-selling paintings and one photo even showed up on the cover of a music CD.

As I approached the area early one October Sunday morning, I saw a ground fog had enveloped the area and I knew some special images might just come my way. What you see here is one of them. The newly risen sun was filtered by the fog enough that I didn’t get any lens flare and the filtered light let me capture everything in the photo. I have a few more images from that morning that I will share with you in the future. As you might guess, the fog burned off fairly quickly so I had to move pretty fast to capture what I could.

Living here in the deep Southwest, I don’t get to see very much of Autumn. In November, I had to travel up to Zion to see those colors again. So I hope that those of you who live where Autumn shows all its glory can appreciate how special you have it.

On a personal note, I enjoyed my time away from blogging during the Christmas holiday, but am happy to be back. My wonderful son surprised me on Christmas day with a brand new high speed computer system with a large 23” monitor. Now, I can do my post processing and painting work at vastly accelerated speeds and they look better than ever before. I am a lucky guy.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: