Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Postcard from Zion

This image, from last month’s trip to Zion, shows the “Great White Throne” (left) and a large rock formation known as “The Organ.” Barely visible at the bottom of the image is the Virgin River. I am not sure of the significance of all the names used in Zion National Park. You would have to ask someone with knowledge of the Book of Mormon…and that is not me. Obviously, since it is in Utah, the names make sense.

All I know is that it is one of the most spectacular places on the planet and I love going there. By the way, the location of these two rock formations is nearly at the end of the canyon. I photographed this image in the later part of the afternoon at a place nicknamed “Photo Point.” It is located on a short trail, down below a small parking lot. There is a plaque on a rock that talks about photography…hence its name. Trust me, it is easy to find. Let your eyes be your guide.

I would love to go back in late spring or summer and capture this scene in sunlight. In November, the sun is lower in the sky and circles around the back of these two monoliths. Of course, I would not be able to capture the Autumn colors then. Stayed tuned for more photographs of Zion and other great places I’ve been fortunate enough to photograph.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site. Don’t forget, e-mail greeting cards are free.

No comments: