Monday, January 16, 2012

Postcard from Chicago

I’ve talked about the “El”, aka the Elevated Railway that runs throughout the great Chicago area, but I don’t believe I‘ve ever shown a photo of it. To be more precise, this section of the El is known as “The Loop” in downtown Chicago.

The El is Chicago’s Rapid Transit System, the second longest system in the US, smaller only to New York’s subway system. It began operations in 1892 and now consists of 8 separate lines, each designated by a color. It is run by the Chicago Transit Authority. All the lines, except the Red Line converge into the Loop, make a giant circle, then head out again on their various routes. The Loop is circular, but is actually shaped in the form a giant rectangle in the downtown area. This, of course, lets people from all over greater Chicago enter and exit into and out of the downtown area.

For instance, the Green Line starts way down on the Southside, comes into the loop, then heads due west to places like Oak Park. The Blue Line takes you out to O’Hare Airport while the Orange Line runs from the Loop out to Midway Airport.

This photo, looking north, shows the Loop as it runs on top of Wabash Street, near Adams. To get to a train, you would climb one level up from the street. The second level you see is just a bridge above the tracks to take you to the other side, if your train comes in there.    

I mentioned that the Red Line does not go into the loop. When I took this photo, I was standing on top of the Red Line as it comes into the downtown area underground. However, most of the Red Line is elevated above the city. FYI, the Red Line runs north and south and goes by both baseball stadiums…US Cellular Field on the Southside, and Wrigley Field to the North.  

In my trips to Chicago I rode on several of the lines and always found it to be an enjoyable experience. The El got me where I was going as fast as it could. I will never forget my first view of Wrigley Field was from the car of a Red Line train coming into the Addison Street Station. WOW! Chicago is definitely a very special place.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: