Friday, October 07, 2011

Postcard from San Francisco

This is a sketch of the famous Ferry Building in San Francisco. I first created a simple sketch from an original photograph, then overlaid it on a piece of digital wrinkled paper. I really like the simple effect and may do some more of these in the future.

As for the Ferry Building, it sits at the edge of the bay the end of the City’s famous Market Street on the Embarcadero. Since the 1800’s it served as the embarkation point for ferry service across the bay to Oakland. In fact it still does, with an addition ferry to take tourists around to Fisherman’s Wharf and over to Marin County. Having been raised in and around the City, I rode the ferries several times in my early life. My family would take the ferry to Oakland, then board the Southern Pacific train to Oregon.

The current building was built in 1898 to replace a wooden structure that stood there for years. It survived both the 1906 and 1989 earthquakes. Until the completion of the Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge in the 1930s it was the second busiest transit terminal in the world, second only to London's Charing Cross Station.

Today, it serves not only as a ferry terminal, but also as an upscale gourmet marketplace and office building. I will be in San Francisco again in early 2012 and plan to ride the ferry again, just for old time’s sake. I’v traveled a great deal in my life and been to many famous cities around the world, but San Francisco is still at the top of my list as a favorite destination.   

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: