Monday, October 03, 2011

Postcard from Oakland

It was just last May. My brother picked me up at the airport and drove me to his home in Oakland. As I stepped out of the car, I noticed these beautiful flowers on a bush near the driveway. As I said to him, I had forgotten how beautiful Northern California flowers are in the Spring. Remember, I live in the Sonoran Desert, a whole different life zone. It was good to see all the beautiful Spring flowers growing all over the Bay Area.

This flower is called a Pelargonium…and in May they were in full bloom. According to my brother, it is a member of the Geranium family and was originally from South Africa.  From my original photo, I created this digital painting using Corel Painter and finishing it off in Photoshop. I think it turned out quite well.

I’ve always loved beautiful flowers and have certainly enjoyed photographing and painting them. Sadly, I don’t have a green thumb so I have to leave the horticultural aspects to those who do…and fortunately I know several people who know what they are doing. Stayed tuned for more flower paintings from my trips around the west.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: