Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Postcard from the Cascades

Like most days, I sit here in shorts and a t-shirt enjoying my retirement in Tucson. Today, it’s a cool 85 outside…I say cool because it has been in the 90’s and low 100’s up until a couple of days ago. It’s easy to forget that much of the nation is experiencing Autumn, especially in my old home area of Eastern Washington.

So, I take this opportunity to show you a photo I took a couple of years ago near Leavenworth in the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mountains. It makes me remember how much I loved the Autumn season when I lived there, going out with my camera for many years in October and just taking in all the color that nature had to offer.

When I did art shows in Leavenworth, I stayed in my small travel trailer just outside of town. All I had to do was walk out the front door and I would be hit in the face with some of the most beautiful color nature has to offer. Some of my best Autumn photos shown here in the past were taken within walking distance of my trailer. I really miss those photo opportunities as well as the joy of a clear crisp Autumn day in the Cascades.

Not that I am unhappy with where I live now…quite the contrary…I love it here. My life is rich beyond measure, living in the Southwest. But since October 1st is the opening of snowbird season, I would love to head in the opposite direction of those folks and spend October in the Cascades once again to take in all that glorious color. If I were a snowbird, I wouldn’t leave the Northwest until the fall color was all gone.

But until then, I have lots of amazing photographs to keep my memories alive.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: