Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Postcard from Tumacacori

I photographed this image on a late afternoon visit to the Tumacacori National Historical Park…about 50 miles south of Tucson. I have shown you a couple of pictures of the the old mission in past editions. This image was shot outside the mission on the wall that surrounds the property.

When I drove up, I was blown away by the shadows being cast on the walls by a few very old trees. As it was in the middle of winter, there were few if any leaves on the trees. It was an artistic shot just too good to past up. I spent several minutes shooting here before I even went in to see the old mission. The cactus and other desert flora in the image give a strong hint that this was taken in the Southwest. Even the old window adds to Southwestern flavor.

Tumacacori is an old Spanish mission church whose actual name is Mission San José de Tumacácori. It was established in January 1691 by Jesuit Father Eusebio Francisco Kino and is located on 310 acres at the town of Tumacácori, Arizona, about 50 miles south of Tucson (and 18 miles north of the Mexican Border), off of Interstate 19. It is a National Historical Park, run by the National Park Service.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: