Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Postcard from Red Canyon

Red Canyon sits near the beginning (or end) of Highway 12 in Southern Utah. It is Utah’s most beautiful highway, so Red Canyon is your first introduction to this amazing scenic drive. It is also just a few miles west of Bryce Canyon National Park.

While Red Canyon is not a national park, it is part of the Dixie National Forest. So it has a more liberal approach to exploring the magnificent scenery. You can hike, ride horses, bicycles, and even ATV’s. And there are lots of trails to explore.

Most people driving Highway 12 just pass through Red Canyon on their way to Bryce Canyon. Trust me, take some time to explore Red Canyon if you are in the area. While Bryce is a more intriguing and beautiful destination, you will not be disappointed by what you find in Red Canyon. And here is a tip you may find very handy: Bryce Canyon campgrounds are nearly always full…camp in Red Canyon’s campground. It is less expensive and a far more beautiful campground. In fact, it is one of the nicest campgrounds I have ever been in. Last time I was there, I stayed there four days and used it as my base camp for my photo expeditions to the entire area.

This photo gives you an idea of some of the beauty of Red Canyon. I got lucky with the clouds that day. And some of its other intriguing sites are an easy hike from the visitor center or a short drive down the Casto Canyon Road. At the visitor center, you can learn more about the park and get more info on horse trip and ATV rentals.

I hope I’ve given you something to think about for your next vacation. In fact, not only should you stop at Red Canyon, but consider doing all of Highway 12.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: