Friday, May 29, 2009

Picture of the Day – Hoodoos


Welcome to Bryce Canyon National Park, where you will find the highest concentration of hoodoos in the entire world. There are hundreds of them pictured in this photo.

What’s a hoodoo, you ask? Here is the geological definition from Wikipedia:

A hoodoo (also tent rock, fairy chimney, earth pyramid) is a tall thin spire of rock that protrudes from the bottom of an arid drainage basin or badland. Hoodoos are composed of soft sedimentary rock and are topped by a piece of harder, less easily-eroded stone that protects the column from the elements.

The photo you see here is an immense concentration of hoodoos…so thick you can hardly differentiate one from another. It was very difficult to develop in post processing, and only when I applied a few selected filters was I able to bring them out a bit more.

I decided to try a black and white image as the hoodoos themselves are mostly orange with a little white thrown in here and there. I liked the result enough that I wanted to share it with you.

Sadly, I am limited by the blog as to the size of the photo I can use. But, like all photos in my blogs, if you click on the photo, you can see a larger version.

No comments: