Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Picture of the Day – Thru Mesa Arch


As is my custom lately, I find myself experimenting with different filters in Photoshop. I came across an interesting photo I took of Mesa Arch in the Canyonlands National Park. I like the composition very much, but the lighting was just terrible that day.

I could have used some very elaborate filters to make it look like the light was fabulous, but just didn’t want to fake it. Instead, I came across a filter I had never used before. It’s called the “Polaroid Transfer” filter. Below, is a quick explanation of the real Polaroid Transfer process. A small number of artists and photographers use it to create interesting images.

It is one of those techniques that gives a different result every time. So I tried it on this image and it produced the image you see here. I really like this image as it made the colors so much more vivid and added some interesting ghostly effects.

The only other thing I did was change the contrast ration slightly. I did not want to do more as the real Polaroid Transfer process is not changeable. You get what you get, which is what I wanted to do here. And frankly, I like what I got!

Will try this one again in the future.

A Summary of the Polaroid Transfer Process from Wikipedia

Using a camera, enlarger, slide printer or Day Lab expose Polaroid film. You need pull-apart type film, such as Polaroid 669 (now discontinued, or Fuji FP100c, which is readily available). Develop by pulling the film from the holder. Wait about 10-15 seconds and quickly pull the film apart, not letting the two sides (the picture and the negative) touch. Put the pulled apart negative face down on paper (or other material). Place pressure over negative and let sit for about 20 minutes. Then pour hot water over each side of the negative/paper sandwich. Gently peel the negative from the paper. Allow transfer to dry, face up.

No comments: