Saturday, March 07, 2009

Picture of the Day - Tumacacori


I almost didn’t publish this picture here as the image of the church is so small and I can't publish large pictures in the blog anyway. But, I went ahead and did it (as you can see) just because I like the picture.

Tumacacori is an old Spanish mission church whose actual name is Mission San José de Tumacácori. It was established in January 1691 by Jesuit Father Eusebio Francisco Kino and is located on 310 acres at the town of Tumacácori, Arizona, about 50 miles south of Tucson (and 18 miles north of the Mexican Border), off of Interstate 19. It is a National Historical Park, run by the National Park Service.

This is an example of using a frame within a frame, a prime technique for photographers. I photographed the church from an outdoor courtyard that leads from the visitor center, thus providing the curved window frame.

In processing the picture, I used a vignette filter to remove any distracting element from the window and in the lower part of the picture. I wanted my viewers to focus completely on the church through the frame.

This was shot late in the afternoon when the light was especially stunning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stunning - that's a good word for that picture! Love the duck, love the ferns, spring is just around the corner...right?