Thursday, December 25, 2008

Postcard from Tucson – Merry Christmas from the Southwest


Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all of my faithful readers and to all good people everywhere. Yes, surprise, even though we have no snow here, we do celebrate Christmas in our own unique way, as you can see from today’s photo.

I shot this fun picture of Santa on a stagecoach only a couple of days ago in Tombstone, Arizona, the town too tough to die. I’ll will write a more complete blog about Tombstone in the very near future, but for today, I just want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

It is kind of a special Christmas for me also as a couple of days ago I moved into my new, temporary home here in Tucson. I took a 6 month lease on a furnished apartment to wait out these cold winter months before I can travel again. One can only live in a van for so long, even in moderate temperatures before one gets the urge to have a real roof and a real bed to sleep in.

I live in the desert foothills just west of town in a beautiful apartment complex made up mostly of students of the University of Arizona. It is quite a place with many amenities. For me it is nice just to have my desktop computer and large screen working again.

I am all alone in a strange town for the holidays, but that is OK. I’ve had some good times on the road and have much, much more to write about here and share many more pictures.

Tucson continues to hold my interest as I have now been here for a couple of weeks and still like it very much. My original plan formulated last January when I saw Tucson for the first time, was to move here…unless I found someplace better when I was traveling. So far, I have not. But, at the end of six month, I will re-evaluate my decision and see if I want to stay or go.

But for now, it’s Christmas in my new place in my new home town of Tucson. Stay warm and happy.

No comments: