Monday, December 29, 2008

Pictures of the Day – More from the Canyonlands



As I mentioned in my last blog, “Island in the Sky” in Canyonlands National Park is all about the views, I thought I would share a couple of more pictures of those views. Perhaps I did the park an injustice in my last blog, but I was disappointed from a photographic standpoint.

As you can see, the light that day was diffused because of the clouds. In other words, you don’t see any shadows. Good for photographing flowers, not for views, as a rule.

Anyway, these are just a couple of the spectacular views you see from Island. In the first picture, the river you see is the Green River. Not to far from here, the Green River flows into the Colorado River.

All of this area and more was first explored by John Wesley Powell in the 1867. Powell was a very interesting character in our history. He lost an arm in the Battle of Shilo during the Civil War. His expeditions down the Colorado River are famous as he explored what is now the Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, and Glen Canyon. He later became the 2nd director of the United States Geological Survey.

While perhaps these two photos are not great photography, they do give you some idea of the views you can see at Canyonlands National Park and, for that matter, all over the Southwestern United States.

No comments: