Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Postcard from Tucson

Here is another image from a trip I made to our local Pima Air and Space Museum. I took it as an artistic exercise and like how it turned out. I do not remember what kind of aircraft this engine is on, but obviously it is a single engine aircraft, probably used in reconnaissance during WWII. I just like the way it looked and the detail visible on the engine...and of course, the colors.

I’ve already talked about the museum in other blogs so won’t repeat myself again. What I will do is reprint the most famous poem ever written about flying. I always think of it when around airplanes.

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,

I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew -

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high untresspassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No 412 squadron, RCAF
Killed 11 December 1941

 

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site

No comments: