Monday, June 25, 2012

Postcard from Oakland

As you may have seen from time to time, if you follow this blog, I love window reflections. I find them fascinating…the way light is reflected and distorted by light. One can see the reflection, and at the same time, see through the glass to what is behind it. It’s almost a visual dichotomy that can yield many different (and nearly unlimited) results. And, of course, there is always the distortion effect caused by imperfections in the glass.

In the case of this building, it is difficult to discern what is reflected and what is behind. It has a large building frontage with lots of glass and is broken up by horizontal and vertical lines…here you have a difficult puzzle for your mind to figure out. Throw in some curved lines and distance clouds, and you really have a mystery. Perhaps that is why I love it so much…and why it really doesn’t matter what is where.

This is the entrance to the Elihu M. Harris State of California Building in downtown Oakland…one of the largest buildings in Oakland. To me, the artist, only the reflections and the architectural designs of the building interest me. There are a few more interesting architectural bits that are part of this building that I will share sometime in the future.

Also, I will be returning to Oakland and San Francisco and other great places in the very near future as I head out on one of my photographic road trips with visits to friends along the way. With the non-stop 100+ temps, higher humidity, and monsoon season now upon us here in Tucson, I am ready to bail out and head for cooler climates…not too cool as I still want to wear my shorts and t-shirts when possible. Maybe in the 70’s or 80’s would be nice. But I am also considering a trip up the California Coast to do some ocean photography. Not sure when I will be leaving, but it won’t be long.

Besides, I need more new photos to share here. Can’t live forever on past glories!

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site.

 

No comments: