Monday, June 11, 2012

Postcard from Red Canyon

There is nothing wrong with your computer. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to...

OK…enough of that. With apologies to the creators of the old TV show, The Outer Limits, the opening paragraph just seemed appropriate for this photo.

And no, I did not forget to rotate the photo to a vertical position before posting it here. This tree was actually growing sideway! I was on this hike in the Red Canyon area in Utah. I believe it was the Arches Trail, if you ever want to find it. And there it was, right along the trail. Now who can resist a photo op like this one?

I have written about Red Canyon before in these pages. But, in case you don’t remember, it is located about 10 miles from the beginning of the famous Highway 12 (western side). Red Canyon is one of the many beautiful and fascinating places you find along this highway. Go a few miles further and you come to the entrance to Bryce Canyon National Park.  

I agree there is nothing special or artistic about this photo (save for the uniqueness of the subject), but I like it and was glad I found it on the trail. I don’t know how it came about. Perhaps a landslide pushed the tree over on its side, but it just continued to grow. You know, you just can’t keep a good tree down. What is your guess?

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site.

No comments: