Monday, December 05, 2011

Postcard from Bryce Canyon

This is Inspiration Point, or should I say the trail leading up to Inspiration Point. Its an easy walk from the parking lot to this point, then a fairly steep climb to the top. Well, maybe not so easy as it sits at 8,000 feet. You will do a fair amount of huffing and puffing when you take this walk.

But as you can see, on this cold November day, it was snowed and iced over. There was absolutely no way I was doing this trek this day, especially as it was somewhere between 12 and 15 degrees. Still it made for a fine photograph, which was my goal on this frozen day.

Inspiration Point is close by Sunset Point where I photographed the “first light of day” image I shared with you a couple of weeks ago. Although the parking lot sign says “Inspiration Point,” it really isn’t. The point itself is at the end of a long climb up this trail. Look close (click on the image to see an enlargement) and you will see a railing where you can stop, catch your breath and take a photo or two. But that is not Inspiration Point either! It’s only about halfway there. If you look real, real close, you can see a second rail way above this rail. That is Inspiration Point. Not today, thank you very much.

Even if I had made it to the top, I would have to come down again…and I could just see myself slipping on the ice and sliding all the way down…to the bottom of the canyon. It’s OK as I have already been up there and managed to get some wonderful photos on another trip in friendlier weather.

With all that said, I still like this shot very much.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card of this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site. Don’t forget, e-mail greeting cards are free. You can also order Christmas Cards using this or any other of my images.

No comments: