Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Postcard from Zion

There is a bridge in Zion National Park where knowledgeable photographers gather toward sunset to hopefully capture a fantastic autumn photo of the Virgin River, some beautiful trees along its banks and a mountain known as “The Watchman”…and with some luck, some lovely pink-shaded clouds. Well, I was among the photographers for two nights waiting to capture the perfect image (The other nights the light and clouds were not good, so I did not stop).

One has to go early to get a good spot as the bridge fills up fast. Well, I was there for well over and hour both nights and did not get lucky. It looked especially good on one night, but the clouds disappeared just as the sun set. Anyway, I did capture a good image (but not great) that I will share with you soon.

But, while waiting for the sunset, I turned my camera around 180 degrees, set up on the other side of the bridge, and caught this image.  It is looking north into Zion Canyon. The river is, of course, the Virgin River. The mountain on the right is called The East Temple, and the two mountains that look alike are called "The Twins.”

I just wish I could have moved those clouds behind me near the Watchman. Then I would have had a image to die for. But this one is not bad on its own. I am just glad the photo gods gave something good to shoot that night.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: