Monday, August 08, 2011

Postcard from The Oregon Coast

Stick me in front of my digital darkroom on a boring, rainy Sunday afternoon and sometimes I go a little crazy. Take this image, for instance. It was a lovely scene when I first shot it (using an older digital camera), but when I looked at it on the screen, it just laid there…interesting, with possibilities, but it had no life.

The early digital cameras sometimes had exposure problems with fog. So what I saw when I was there was not quite what showed up on the screen. Aha!! A challenge. So I went to work. I was intrigued with the sun’s rays breaking through the fog when I made the photograph, but they were not that intense on the screen. So, that was my first priority…getting them to stand out.

It took a lot of work, but then the rest of the scene became less interesting…so I just kept working and working the problem…using some of my latest tools and a few old ones. I just kept going and going…sometimes backing up and starting again. I won’t bother you with all the steps…frankly, I don’t remember all of them myself. But, I do know that early on I decided to do something entirely different…something artistic, bold and innovative.

In the end, I came up with the above image. I let it sit overnight to see if I still liked it in the morning…and I did. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I like it…and in the world of photography, and all art for that matter, that it what counts. But, secretly, we all want our audience to like what we do. I would be interested in hearing your comments.

PS…this was not the only image I worked on during that crazy Sunday. Stay tuned…

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: