Friday, July 31, 2009

Postcard from Zion – Where Roads Meet


I’ve spent a number of hours in the last few days seriously working on my photos from Zion National Park. I took the photos over a few days back in November of 2007. Zion is an incredible wonderland of mountains in Southwestern Utah. I shot hundreds of images in those few days so it is taking a while to go through them all.

Knowing me, its a wonder I got started at all. The number of photos is almost overwhelming…and I have thousands more from other locations to go through. But, I just take them one at a time…which is all I can do. And now I have the time.

Some are now displayed on my Web site and more will be going up in the next couple of days. I hope you get a chance to look at them.

This photo was taken in the southern part of the park, not far from the entrance and Visitor’s Center. At this place, the road forks into two directions…one is the Zion Scenic Highway…the gateway into Zion Canyon to see the many wonders that line both sides of the highway. It ends several miles further up the canyon at the Narrows, where you can walk deep into a slot canyon along the Virgin River.

The other road is Utah Highway 9. It takes you east, high above Zion Canyon, up their famous switchbacks, through the long tunnel, and out into a whole new set of wonders. Eventually, the road takes you out of the park and onto to the Colorado Plateau.

Having a wooden fence adds a great deal to the view of the mountains and cloud-filled sky. The beautiful array of Autumn colors doesn’t hurt either. I think this is a good image.

No comments: