Monday, July 13, 2009

Postcard from Yosemite – El Capitan in Autumn


This is a slightly different view of the Yosemite’s granite monolith. The most famous photographs of El Capitan are taken from the west side. This one is more to the the east.

I like it because it is a different view than most and, of course, it has a beautiful row of trees bearing their autumn leaves directly in front. Leave it to me to be different.

The sky is darkened quite a bit, thanks mostly to the polarizing filter I used in front of the lens when I shot this picture. I also darkened it a little bit more in post processing.

El Capitan, all three thousand feet of it, is one of America’s foremost challenges for rock climbers. Almost any time of the year, you can see climbers daring to make the ascent. There are dozens of different routes, none of them easy. It can take a few days to get to the top, although the current speed climbing record is 2.5 hours, if you can believe that. I am not sure how that works.

All I know is that I love Yosemite, El Capitan, and this image.

No comments: