Saturday, April 04, 2009

Picture of the Day – Cactus Flower


The good news is that some of the cactus here in the Tucson area are now beginning to flower. The bad news is that the wildflowers that normally pop up in the desert about this time are in short supply. Not enough rain this year for a good explosion of color.

I visited the Saguaro National Park (east) yesterday to see what might be going on, wildflower-wise and was advised by park rangers of the bad news. But, I managed to get this close-up photo of a Hedgehog cactus flower. The flower itself is no more than 2” across and the cactus only comes out of the ground about 6”.

Took this with a new Canon point-and-shoot camera that I recently purchased so I could easily carry a small camera with me everywhere. My Nikon is just way to heavy and bulky to lug around everywhere.

I will have more photos of cactus flowers soon.

No comments: