Friday, October 17, 2008

Postcard from Leavenworth - Farewell to the Cabin

For five years, I have lived part time in my "Cabin," whenever I did an art show in Leavenworth. I affectionately called it The Cabin as I always wanted to own a cabin in the mountains. This was as close as I got...a 19' self contained travel trailer, with all the amenities of home in a very compact format But, looking at the picture, you have to admit I live in a terrific location, especially in Autumn. I had everything including cable TV so I could watch football.

I moved it in May to Leavenworth, then back to Ephrata in the fall. It never went anywhere else. Which was fine with me. My location beats any RV park ever built as I was on private property way off the main road...and for a small rental fee way below any Leavenworth RV park fees. Many of my favorite autumn photos, a few of which have been shared here, were all taken just a few feet from my front door. It was a great place to live on weekends.

Yesterday, I sold the cabin. That was the last of my "things to do" that now allows me to leave Washington State to find a new life. It is sad in a way...I no longer have a house or a travel trailer to call home. In effect, I am homeless...living in hotels, tents, and occasionally, my van. But, its my choice and I don't regret it. Someday soon, I will find a new residence and a new place to call home. Only God knows right now where that will be. But I am bound and determined to have a great time along the way.

Saturday morning, the cabin gets towed off to its new home and I head down the road for good. When I can get a good Internet connection, you will know where I am. My first stop is scheduled to be the Painted Hills in Oregon. May spend a couple of days there as the weather looks good. After that...I don't know.

Farewell to the cabin and all its memories. In some ways, it was harder to part with it than my home. But, all things change and I will only look back in fondness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best if luck on your travels... Gav

Mo said...

Happy trails! Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Happy trails! Glad I ran into you today - keep us all posted!