Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Postcard from the Road - Goodbye Ephrata

After sixteen years in one place, in one house, I have left Ephrata behind me. I am alone now, on the road, looking for places I've never seen, photographing the beauty that lies out there, and recording my travels in my journal and on this blog. And that is the good news...you will be able to follow me on this journey whenever I find a Wi-Fi connection to send up my pictures.

For those of you that don't know, Susan and I have ended our marriage (very amicably) and gone our separate ways...she now lives in Pocatello, ID and I am on the road for a while. Eventually I will probably wind up in Tucson, AZ, to be nearer my son...and because I like the city very much. But, even that can change depending on what I find out out there on the highway. Nothing is set in concrete.

For the next few days, I am in Leavenworth finishing out the art show season. Then, I will head south, mainly because colder weather lies to the north and east. I have a few ideas of where I am going to start with, but after that it is wide open for change. If I like someplace, I may stay awhile to see more of it and capture it with my cameras. And, of course, blog about it on this site.

In many ways, this is a journey of discovery...a way for me to see things I've never seen before...to find out who I am as a person and as an artist...and to start this new brand new chapter of my life as a single man. A person changes when he or she is married and both parties become new people, each blending parts their former personalities into the marriage to accommodate the other in harmony...leaving other parts behind that may not fit.

Now, I am free from any restrictions (except my own morality), free to be a bit selfish, free to discover the new me, to bring back what was good about the previous me and to let it loose again. But, after so long, one forgets and sometimes it is difficult to remember.

In a way, what I am about to experience can rightly be called a “walkabout,” an Australian term meaning going on a journey that lasts until I meet myself. I look forward to it, but in some ways it is very scary. I leave the comfortable life of home and hearth behind, not knowing where I will be the next day. But, whatever happens, you will be along to share it with me...and the pictures alone will be worth it.

I hope we both enjoy the ride.

No comments: