Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Picture of the Day - Sunrise on St. Mary's Lake

This photo was taken only three days ago at St. Mary's Lake in Glacier National Park. My friend, David Forester, a professional landscape photographer, and I were sharing a hotel room while doing the Whitefish Art Festival. We got up Sunday morning at 4:00 AM and drove 65 miles into the park. We went up the "Going to the Sun Highway" to Logan's Pass, then downhill, eventually winding up at St. Mary's Lake.

We got there just minutes before the sun, then had three minutes of great sunrise light before a storm cloud covered the sun. This was one of the photos I took in those three minutes.

We then piled back into Dave's car and headed back to Whitefish to do the last day of the show. It was quite a drive to do for only a few shots, but it was worth it. All-in-all, I made three trips into Glacier during my brief 5 day stay in Northwestern Montana. I will be sharing some of the photos with you over the next several days, including an amazing photo I took this very same day.

Glacier National Park is quite a place and could take many, many months to explore properly. I hope I can return soon.

No comments: