Thursday, July 24, 2008

Picture of the Day - Old Truck under an Apple Tree

This image is one of my paintings that I show at my art shows. It was completed last year and has become quite popular. At my recent show in Whitefish, Montana, I sold out of every print I had of it. It has also become a best-seller in my Leavenworth shows, along with another painting I have of an old Ford truck, which I will share with you soon.

I took the original photograph in 2006 just outside of the small town of Hunters in northeastern Washington, right on the east side of Lake Roosevelt, above the Grand Coulee Dam on the highway to Kettle Falls. I was driving along and spotted what I thought was an interesting barn on a side road. On the way to the barn, I discovered this old truck which was invisible from the highway. The truck turned out to be far more interesting than the barn.

It was painted by hand (with a Wacom tablet) using Corel's Painter software. You can't see it in this small of an image, but there are some interesting brush strokes that I applied which make the painting really stand out.

All the strange mix of colors on this old truck are reproduced almost exactly as I found them...no additional colors were added.

Interestingly, almost exactly one year after I took the original photograph, I was back in Hunters and went back to this truck. It was in much worse shape than when I took the photograph and the apple tree is gone. I guess I got lucky with my timing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice shot. This one has a great old time comfort feel to it. Personally I think it could be improved with some burning and dodging to bring out certain areas, but I like it just the same.

Gavin
SeimEffects.com
ProPhotoShow.net