Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Picture of the Day - Lightship in Astoria

This photo is of a retired Coast Guard lightship that is permanently docked in Astoria harbor in Oregon. I loved the ropes and the anchor chain running into the bow along with the rich red hull of the ship and the deep blue sky. Throw in a few white clouds and you have a very colorful image.

I took this picture a few years ago right with my then almost-new Olympus digital SLR camera. I was driving down the Oregon Coast on my way to California to do a couple of art shows. Astoria, if you recall your history, was the last stop for Lewis and Clark on their historic journey across America. It is where the Columbia River meets the Pacific Ocean.

Although I have never done it, I think this picture would look great is a very large size, say 24x30 on canvas. Maybe someday I will get around to it.

No comments: