Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Picture of the Day - Flags

I was saving this photo for my 4th of July blog, but since I will be in Whitefish, MT doing an art show (and probably without Internet access), I have to post it up today. I photographed this image several years ago on the 4th of July in my current hometown, Ephrata WA.

On every Federal patriotic holiday, like Memorial Day, Veteran's Day and the 4th of July, the city decorates the city cemetery with many flags to honor the veterans of this town, past and present. On this particular 4th of July, the wind was blowing and I sat in the cemetery shooting an entire roll of film hoping to get a great photo of all the flags unfurled in their glory.

This was the best of the 36 shots. I have always liked it very much and a large print of it hangs in our home. A couple of years ago, I happened to have an 18x24 print on canvas hanging on the back wall of my tent at Leavenworth's Art in the Park. A passing gentlemen happened to see if from a distance and came running over to my display. He grabbed it off the wall and purchased it on the spot.

Its funny how some images just grab us and won't let go. For some people, including me, this picture falls into that category.

I hope you have a happy and safe 4th of July.

No comments: