Thursday, June 19, 2008

Picture of the Day - Fireworks

Eugene, Oregon puts on a terrific fireworks display on the 4th of July. It is held in the same park as an art show that I occasionally do. When I was there last time, the 4th of July holiday coincided with the art show weekend.

The city does a great job getting people in and out of the park setting aside several buses to bring people into the park from all over the city. There were lots of food vendors there so the fireworks show turns into a major event for many families. As you might guess, the park was packed by the time the fireworks started.

Having been there before, I new where I could set up my camera without having to work near a crowd. Digital cameras make photographing fireworks quite simple. You basically set your camera on a tripod and keep the shutter open for 15-20 seconds at a time. Hopefully you will capture some good images. I admit it is a hit and miss way of doing things, but it works (This is a great way to photograph lightning storms, by the way).

I got several good images during the show, this being one of them. I also got some not-so-spectacular images, which you will never see. You might consider giving this a try with your digital camera on the 4th this year.

(There will be no blogs for the next 4 days as I am doing an art show in Leavenworth this weekend).

No comments: