Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Postcard from the Oregon Coast

This is one of my more abstract sketches…I found these trees along a small road near the Oregon Coast. I got carried away with my sketching techniques and out popped this black and white abstract sketch. I didn’t think anyone would like it, but it turned out to be quite popular when I was doing art shows.

Once, for the wedding of a family friend, I offered the bride the choice of any of my art works for a wedding present. She was a big fan of my work and I was quite surprised when she chose this sketch. As an artist, one never knows what people will like. This one sure surprised me.

PS: the title of this one is “Trees.”

With that title, I could not resist bringing out this most famous poem with the same name…written in 1913 by Joyce Kilmer.

 

Trees

By Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see

A poem lovely as a tree.

 

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

 

A tree that looks at God all day,

And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

 

A tree that may in Summer wear

A nest of robins in her hair;

 

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;

Who intimately lives with rain.

 

Poems are made by fools like me,

But only God can make a tree.

 

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: