Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Postcard from Bryce–Three Vultures

vultures

I will admit, I am not much of a wildlife photographer. But when three birds pose for me in a tree, how can I go wrong.  These birds are, if I am not mistaken Turkey Vultures.

I took this photo on my last photographic expedition to Bryce Canyon National Park. I believe I was high up on Inspiration Point just after dawn. After shooting down into the canyon, I turned around and there they were…three birds also taking in the morning view (or waiting for me to die). So I lifted the camera and started shooting. Thank God I had a zoom lens on the camera.

To quote from an article about these birds on buzzle.com:

“Turkey vultures are widely found in North America and are also known as turkey buzzards. The adult turkey vultures can weigh up to 6 pound, reaching the length of 25 to 32 inches. The wingspan of the vultures can be about 6 feet. The name turkey is given to them due to the bald, red head that closely resembles that of a wild turkey. Their feet closely resembles the feet of a chicken, which they cannot use to lift or carry food. Instead, their feet are especially designed to hold food in place while eating.

Vultures are basically scavengers, that feed on carrion or carcasses of dead animals. So, like other vultures, turkey vultures too survive on carrion and cannot kill their prey. They usually thrust their heads inside the carcass. Here, their bald head serves an important purpose, while they eat carrion. The fact that their head is bald keeps it clean, while they stick their head inside the body cavity of the carcass. Turkey vultures have an extraordinary sense of smell, which enables them to find out a carcass just within 24 hours of its death. They are also empowered with a sharp eye sight, which helps them to search food. If need arises, turkey vultures can also live on vegetation.”

And that’s the fact, Jack!

No comments: