Saturday, December 18, 2010

Postcard from Yosemite - Tenaya Lake

tenaya_bw_2

When I get nostalgic, I somehow always return to Yosemite. I when I get real nostalgic, I think about Ansel Adams and his many years of photographing the park in black and white. So, I guess I am feeling nostalgic.

Tenaya Lake sits right on the Tioga Pass Road, at 8,150 feet in Yosemite’s High Country, on the North side of Yosemite Valley . (FYI, Yosemite Valley’s elevation is right at 4,000 feet). So its easy to get to, at least when the Tioga Pass Road is open. It is not maintained in the winter and shuts down as soon as the first snowflake falls. Just a few days after I took this photo, the first snowflake did fall and the road was closed. I would love to shoot the lake in winter, but I don’t ski.

The lake is supplied by a network of creeks and springs. Water exits the lake on the southwest side and becomes Tenaya Creek. From there it flows directly down Tenaya Canyon into Yosemite Valley. Its first stop there is famed Mirror Lake, directly below Half Dome. Eventually, it merges with Merced River, the main waterway through the valley.

Tenaya Lake is named after Chief Tenaya, who met the Mariposa Brigade near the shores of the lake. Tenaya protested that the lake already had a name: Pie-we-ack, or "Lake of the Shining Rocks." This original name is now attached to a granite dome to the east of the lake.

On two separate days, I hiked around the lake (where I could) and took several different shots. I have shown you a couple of the colored ones here before as there was a variety of quality colors in the shots. This one had limited colors, so I chose to do it in black and white…a good decision I think. I used a digital red filter to darken the sky and the lake.

If you ever travel the Tioga Pass Road and see the lake, be sure to park, get out and do some hiking. The best views are off the road.

No comments: