Monday, December 13, 2010

Postcard from the Arches–Double Arch

arches-2 bw

I know that I’ve shown you Double Arch before in this blog…that being from my trip two years ago. This image was taken only a couple of weeks ago on my most recent trip. Not much has changed here in two years, except the sky. Still this arch remains my favorite of them all.

Double Arch was formed a bit differently than most of the arches in Arches National Park. It is what is known as a pothole arch as it formed by water erosion from above rather than more typical erosion from the side. The largest opening has a span of 148 feet and a height of 104 feet. It was also seen briefly in the film “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade,” although the cave seen in the film behind it does not exist.

It’s only a short 1/2 mile walk from the parking lot to it and there are no barriers to going under the arch or all around it. And as you can see, I am also almost directly underneath it.

Since the last time I showed you Double Arch was in color, I decided to give you a black and white treatment this time.

No comments: