Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Postcard from Zion – A Slightly Off-Color Slot Canyon


One of the popular features of the American Southwest are slot canyons. These often very narrow canyons are a source for hikers, explorers, and photographers.

By definition, courtesy of Wikipedia, “a slot canyon is a narrow canyon, formed by the wear of water rushing through rock. A slot canyon is significantly deeper than it is wide. Some slot canyons can measure less than 3 ft across at the top but drop more than 100 ft to the floor of the canyon. Most slot canyons are formed in sandstone and limestone rock.”

The slot canyon shown here was photographed from up on high. Sadly, I could not find a safe way down to explore it, so I had to settle for this single photograph. But, of course, I could not leave well enough alone. As I am want to do, I played around in Photoshop to see where I could take it. I ended up working with some bizarre colorings. These colors, while false, are only weird enhancements of the original colors.

The result is a strangely likable image that borders on an abstract painting. I think that is what I like about it the most…one is not quite sure what one is looking at. But that is the fun of it…stretching the mind in both creation and observation. Enjoy…I hope!

No comments: