Monday, October 06, 2014

Postcard from Santa Clara

A funny thing happened on my way to the 49er game. The bus dropped me off two blocks from the new 49er digs (AKA Levi Stadium). As I walked to the stadium, I passed the Santa Clara Convention Center and was immediately drawn to the site of these pyramids atop the structure.

Never one to pass interesting architectural elements…and having my really good camera with me, I stopped for a few minutes to see what I could compose for a good photo. This was my favorite shot...cropped and turned into black and white.

As you may have noticed over the years, I usually do architectural photography in black and white. Color distracts the eye from the interesting elements that make up the photos…i.e. lines, balance, and harmony, to name a couple. And, coincidentally, its those same elements that make for interesting architecture.

As I composed and shot the building from different angles, a whole lot of football fans passed me by as they walked to the stadium. They may have thought I was a bit of a loon. Whatever! But I soon joined them and all my eccentricity was forgiven as we headed for an afternoon of sun, fun and frivolity following our favorite team in their brand new stadium.

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: