Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Postcard from Yosemite

This is one of those peaceful, dreamy photos you get when you mount your camera on a tripod and use a very slow shutter speed. For camera buffs, this photo was shot at 1/3 of a second at f25, using an ISO of 100.

It was a very bright day, so I had to use a very small aperture opening at the lowest ISO rating on my camera in order to achieve the slow shutter speed. If you own a camera with adjustable settings, you should try this out the next time you pass some moving water. With a slow shutter speed, water blurs into a deceptively tranquil image that effectively conveys the impression of motion in a still photograph.

For your information, this photo was done on the Merced River just below Vernal Falls in Yosemite National Park. It was done in May so the waterfall was filled to overflowing. The main course of the river is actually behind me at this location. This is one of those little offshoots of the main river.

I like to photograph these small areas, often much more than the larger views. It just seems so peaceful here. Trust me…I did take photos of the full river and the falls…in fact I have published some of those here before. But these little tiny places in a landscape like Yosemite can be awfully rewarding. 

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

No comments: