Monday, May 13, 2013

Postcard from Venice

Only a few brave souls chose to ride a gondola on this rainy day in Venice…I was not one of them. I preferred to walk around this amazing city with my camera to find those once-in-a-lifetime shots that are hidden all over town. In a sense, it is like an Easter Egg Hunt.

Most of the gondolas were bedded down for the day in hidden harbors like this one all over the islands. The water buses and taxis were running, but it was not what you would call a heavy traffic day. But, no matter what the weather, Venice is a special gem on our planet.

I’ve been to Venice three times, this being the only rainy day I endured. Funny, but I have never felt the slightest inclination to ride a gondola. I would rather see the city on foot, traversing hidden streets and bridges with no particular place in mind. Just see where my feet take me. It’s the only way to explore Venice.

On this day, they took me to this safe harbor where about 25-30 Gondolas were tied up for the day. I got lucky with the way these 4boats lined up in a row.

And don’t worry about getting lost…there are sign posts all over town. If you make St. Marks Square your home base, you will never be lost. All signs point the way to that great landmark. And don’t worry about being run over by crazy Italian drivers…automobiles are not allowed here. Besides, they would not fit.

Venice is one of perhaps five places you should see before your time on earth is completed. Spring and Fall are excellent times to go…but never, under any circumstances, go there in the summer. It is hot, humid, and very crowded. OK…if you have to, you have to. Just go.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site.

No comments: