Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Postcard from Tucson

This is another in my series of architectural photos, specifically of small elements that go into a structure. This staircase is from a building on campus at the University of Arizona. Over my time here, I found many such interesting architectural designs. Most look so much better in black and white. 

As I’ve explained here before, the distractions caused by color are removed in a black and white image. Now you can see all the intricate elements of the photo. See how the stairs go off in different directions…always up. The stairs are interlaced with bricks…and all are framed by the curved ceiling of the landing on the next floor. 

To be honest, when I do one of these photos, I am never 100% sure if it will turn out the way I want. Sometimes, it does not. When I am there, I am distracted by seeing in three dimensions, and, of course, by all the colors. I will admit, this photo turned out more provocative than I hoped. So, part of the credit must go to post processing. But, that is true for most photos these days.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site.

No comments: