Monday, February 18, 2013

Postcard from Tucson

Well it isn’t quite spring yet, here in Sonoran Desert, but we are getting close. I spent the weekend in glorious sunshine here with temps in the low 70’s. The best part of the days were spent either at a baseball game or sitting outside at UofA reading in the sunshine. The best part of our year starts now.

Sadly, in a couple of days, a nasty storm will be over our heads and temps will be in the 50’s. But I don’t mind. A good rain this time of year means we will have have a glorious March and April filled with wildflowers like the ones pictured here. We’ve had a couple of storms since I’ve been home…so more rain means more flowers.

I remember a couple of years ago driving from Yuma to Tucson, a journey of 3.5 hours. On that trip, it was non-stop wildflowers all the way, both on I-8 and I-10. It wish that trip was always so beautiful.

This image is of Arizona poppies taken a couple of years ago. I used a technique called Digital Crayons to give it a more painterly look. Somehow flowers usually turn out very well when painted. I still enjoy painting the odd photograph here and there. And I hope this year will again reveal some fantastic results.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site.

No comments: