Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Postcard from San Jose

If you are a long-time reader, you may remember this image…or one like it. Back in Sept, I published this photo in color as part of this blog. I liked it at first, very much.

Then self-doubt crept in (a common malady for those folks who think they are artists). I began looking at the lack of color in the original image, and started imagining it in black and white. After a long wrestling match, I decided it would be better in Black and White. But, by then I was on my way to the Bay Area and could not work on it until I returned.

Well I did re-do it in B&W…and I was right. I think this one is better. But, I will let you also be the judge of that. A friend of mine compared the two and he strongly agree with me. What say you?

In case you forgot what this is, it is the interior of the San Jose City Council Chambers looking straight up toward the ceiling. As I said back in Sept, when the entire structure is seen from outside, it reminds me of a football, made partially of glass, that is buried halfway in the ground.

I think putting it in black and white adds to the allure and mystery of the image. Color photos often give away the meaning of the image while black and white removes any distractions and lets you focus on the image. I think that was never so true as with this photo.

If you would like to see the original in color, here is a link to the photo and the blog.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site.

No comments: