Monday, October 15, 2012

Postcard from the Arches

This was one of those photos that was easy to capture. I got up early one morning, made a cup of coffee, then walked about 30 feet behind where I was camped in the Arches National Park, and shot the photo. Simple. The coffee was good and the photo turned out pretty well.

The Arches was one of many stops I made back in late 2008. Long time readers will remember I was on a road trip all over the Western United States, seeing places I’d never seen before. I left my previous home in North Central Washington and eventually wound up here in Tucson. But, I took a few months to make the journey.

I slept in my van most of the time, which was quite comfortable, even in 20 degree temperatures. I usually stayed in campgrounds, with the occasional stay in a hotel when I wanted a long shower, a comfortable bed, and a TV to watch some football.

It was a great trip with lots of memories…and a few good photos. I hated to end the trip, but it was late December, it was snowing in most places, and I felt it was time to put down some roots. December in southern Arizona is quite a bit more comfortable than up anywhere on the Colorado Plateau.

When I look at photos like this one, it brings back those memories of being on the road. It’s a special chapter in my life that I will never forget. To me, there is no greater thrill than to see and explore some beautiful place in our world that I’ve never seen before.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site.

No comments: