Monday, April 16, 2012

Postcard from Tucson

Yes, it’s that time of year in the Sonoran Desert…when cactus varieties of all kinds start to bloom. It’s wonderful to walk on desert trails and see the cacti in full bloom. The colors are bright and vivid and it still is a great site for me to enjoy.

Three years ago I came here, never having seen a cactus in bloom. I was used to the spring flowers of the northern climes…daffodils, petunias, snapdragons, pansies, and the unforgettable iris, just to name a few.  And we do have some of those here.

But seeing the desert in bloom for the first time is an unforgettable experience…I still enjoy it even after three years. Those who know me know that I understand very little about horticulture or the names of plants. But, I believe this is a small barrel cactus with multiple blooms. Please correct me if I got it wrong.

Soon, the biggest of them all, the Saguaro cactus, will start to bloom. Definitely a site worth seeing, especially on my side of town where there are hundreds, if not thousands on the hillsides all around me.

April is not a bad time to come to Tucson, if you are in the mood.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site. Don’t forget, e-mail greeting cards are free.

No comments: