Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Postcard from Leavenworth

Bavaria in Washington

Not only have I written before about this little Bavarian-style town in Washington, but I have also showed you this photo before(a few years ago)…except that I made it better…much better. Sometimes I look back at photos I did a few years ago and wonder what was I thinking.

But no artist should beat himself up too much over past work. We grow, we change, and we get better. We learn new tricks, acquire new tools, and make our work better. While a painter or sculptor cannot go back and update past work (other than a touch-up here or there), a photographer can…even a photographer in the age of the darkroom. We can make improvements to past works, and I have routinely done so. And in a few years, I will probably come back to this one and make it better.

For those of you not familiar with Leavenworth, it is a Bavarian-style town on the east side of the Cascade Mountains. Everything, including McDonalds and Starbucks must be done in a Bavarian Style. In the stores, employees wear Bavarian-style clothing…and of course, there are Bavarian and not-so-Bavarian festivals all year long. My favorite, of course, being Oktoberfest.

If you haven’t figured it out already, Leavenworth is a tourist town. People come from all over the world to visit and partake in this unique atmosphere. If you like German food, you will find some good restaurants here to satisfy your cravings. Pizza, burgers, hot dogs, and all the other kinds of food you find in the outside world are also abundantly available.

Every weekend during late Spring, Summer, and Fall, you will find an art show in the downtown park. I did that show for a few years, off and on, when I wasn’t doing shows in other West Coast cities. I have fond memories of this little town in the mountains, and I must say, I do miss it. But, that was from a different chapter in my life.  

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site. Don’t forget, e-mail greeting cards are free.

No comments: