Saturday, February 11, 2012

Postcard from Zion

In this blog, I am going to give you a chance to compare an HDR photo with an Exposure Fusion photo. In my last blog, I talked about the differences between HDR and Exposure Fusion…without showing you the differences. Today, I am going to give you the chance to compare two similar images.

Back on December 12, I shared a similar image in this blog. The difference between that one and this one is I used the Exposure Fusion method on this latest image. In the December image, I used HDR (High Dynamic Range).

Both shots were originally done using five exposures at the same location, then blended down into one shot using one of the two methods.

You can click on the above link and see the HDR image in the original December blog. But a better method would be to click on this link in one tab of your browser (this image), then click on this link (the Dec. 12 image) in a second tab. What you will see are the two images in a larger size to give you a chance to compare each method side-by-side.

In my opinion, the newest version done with Exposure Fusion image gives a better photographic rendering and is less painterly. But, you decide which is better. I would definitely love to hear your opinion.

If you would like a little more detail on the differences between the two processes and why they differ, I recommend this short article from the Digital Photography School Website. Don’t worry, it isn’t too technical.

Again, please drop me a note a share your impressions.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: