Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Postcard from Tucson

Spring is bustin’ out all over…to paraphrase an old, old song. It also describes perfectly what is happening now, here in Tucson. The wildflowers are out in abundance. I live in the western foothills above Tucson, and the hillsides are carpeted in yellow and pink. On Monday, I ran an errand…and there they were. Surprised the heck out of me! I was out and about two days before and didn’t see a one. 

Frankly, I am surprised to see any this year. I wasn’t sure we had enough winter rain to make it happen. Last year, we had no wildflowers to speak of. But, it all must have come together because we are loaded this year.

I will let you in on a little secret…this picture is from 2010 when we had a banner wildflower year. But, right now, it looks just about the same. I haven’t been out with my camera yet, but will shortly.

Spring is a special time in southern Arizona. Not only are the wildflowers in bloom (and soon the cactus flowers), but the temperatures are just perfect…it was 72 yesterday and will be 77 today. Baseball has already started, college games are underway; major league teams are in camp and will start the Cactus League games shortly. Even though we don’t have any teams training here anymore, there will be three major league spring training games played in Tucson in March.

In a couple of weeks, we have the Tucson Book Festival, one of the largest of its kind in the nation. And of course concerts and lectures continue. The UofA Jazz Festival will be in two weeks. Spring is an amazing, wonderful time here in Tucson, and you can bet I will be taking it all in…in shorts and a t-shirt of course. 

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: