Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Postcard from Yosemite

This is Mirror Lake, although its closer to being a pond these days. It is located at the lower end of Tenaya Canyon, just below the famous Half Dome. I’ve been coming to this spot since I was a little boy. Although I have taken its picture many times, this photo was shot in May of 2011 on my most recent trip. The mountain reflection you see is Mt. Watkins.

In the old days, you could drive right to it. Today, you have to take one of the shuttle buses that drops you off at the trail head to the lake. From there is a mile walk to this spot. Actually, it is not a trail…it is the old paved road my family used to take back in the 50’s. I am not sure when they shut the road down for regular traffic. No matter. It’s a lovely, easy walk along Tenaya Creek directly below the face of Half Dome.

If you would like to see it, I recommend you do it sooner rather than later. You see, Mirror Lake is disappearing.

Mirror Lake is about the last remnant of the Old Yosemite Lake that once filled the entire Yosemite Valley. The lake was created by the melting of the last glacier that helped carved out this magnificent landscape. The original lake was anywhere from 300 to 600 feet deep, but was eventually filled in by the process of sedimentation. But a few remnants of it can be found throughout the National Park.

Today, Mirror Lake is fed by Tenaya Creek, which flows out of Tenaya Lake up in the high country. Over time, the creek deposits sediments from the lake and from its long journey down the canyon, thereby eventually displacing the water. For years, the National Park Service went in to remove the debris in order to keep Mirror Lake in a more pristine state for the tourists.

Eventually that policy was changed so Mirror Lake will one day disappear. A sad ending for me personally as this place is one my sacred icons. But our planet is always changing. The old expression, “Let nature take its course,” is perfectly suited for Mirror Lake.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com.

No comments: