Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Postcard from Yosemite

yosemite_falls_lower

Here is the first photo from my recent expedition to Yosemite National Park. This is Lower Yosemite Falls, complete with a double rainbow. Fortunately I knew what time to get to this spot for a possible rainbow shot…and was lucky enough to get not just one, but two rainbows.

At the time I took the photo, on the bridge downstream from the falls, I was being soaked by the heavy mist coming off of the falls. I would have loved to do this shot in HDR (High Dynamic Range), but that requires a tripod and a quick series of 3-5 shots. There was no way that was going to happen with all the mist from the falls. The only way to capture it was to hide the camera with my back to the falls, turn quickly, then take the shot as fast as possible.  Then turn around and wipe the lens off…then shoot again.

There was a place to shoot the falls without getting wet, but there was no rainbow visible there. I did take other exposures out on the bridge to capture the rainbow, but this was the only one that had a double rainbow.

Most of my photos on this trip were done using HDR techniques, but they take a while to “develop” in the computer. You will be seeing some of them shortly.

We had great weather on this trip…sunshine every day. A few days after we left, the weather turned bad and there was actually some snow in Valley.  Very unusual for May. High above the valley floor there is still a ton of snow so the waterfalls are going to be full for a while longer.

Look for more from Yosemite soon.

No comments: