Thursday, May 05, 2011

Postcard from Yosemite

This is Bridalveil Falls in May, five years ago.  It was taken at sundown from a location called Tunnel View (because it is close to a tunnel) on the main south-bound road out of the valley. I used a telescopic lens to get this close-up.bridalveil falls

Five years ago, the falls were very full as the melting snow was 125% above normal.  You can see the huge mist clouds billowing up from the base of the falls. On that trip, I could not get anywhere near the falls to photograph as the mist was very intense. This year, the melting snow is 175% above normal, so the falls (and the Merced River) should be even fuller.

I show you this photo for two reasons: One is that it is a good photo…two, because I will be there next week. Yes, I am off on one my road trips again in two days.  I will be gone for two weeks, both for the Yosemite trip and to visit family and friends. It’s been almost two years since I have been there, so am really looking forward to this trip.

I am flying up to San Jose where my brother will pick me up. Then, next Tuesday, I am meeting up with my friend and fellow photographer Dave Forster and heading to Yosemite for a few days. On this trip, I will be doing at great deal of HRD photography to hopeful yield even better photos.  It will be so great to “come home” to Yosemite Valley where I spent so much of my childhood.

Obviously I won’t be able to write this blog on a regular basis, but will try to post a few pictures as I will have 3 camera with me, two of which will be used for instant photos to post here, as well as Facebook and Twitter. So stay tuned…please.

No comments: