Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Postcard from Utah – Highway 12 Part 1




After five days of camping in Red Canyon, it was time to venture further east along Utah’s famous Highway 12 to see more new things. Heading east, I bid farewell to Red Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Kodachrome Basin.

For several miles, I passed through beautiful rock country and small towns, along the Grand Staircase of the Escalante. There some wonderful sweeping vistas along the way, but little of great photographic quality, at least to my taste. Eventually I came to the town of Escalante and could make out some beautiful canyons in the distance.

To my disappointment, the road did not take me through these canyons. Rather it skirted around them, then started climbing. Eventually I came to a fantastic viewpoint overlooking the far side of the canyons I saw from Escalante. The area is known as Calf Creek Recreation Area (Photo #1).

After a taking few photos, the road drops down into this very same canyon. As it was late morning by now, I went looking for Calf Creek Campground, a small Forest Service campground at the bottom of this very narrow canyon. I found it easily and was able to get a site, much to my relief as there are no other nearby campgrounds.

After setting up camp, I set out to explore the canyon with my camera. Very near my campsite, I spotted what looked like a cave. I climbed over some rocks and found that it indeed was a cave (Photo 2) carved out of the rock by water. To my surprise, the cave was semicircular, coming out on the other side of the trees and rocks you see in the foreground.

As the afternoon progressed, I explored more of Calf Creek Canyon, coming across many wonderful and intriguing rock formations. Eventually the road climbs out of the canyon, heading for Boulder, UT. From the highway, many more interesting looking canyons can be seen. I wore my finger out clicking my camera and will share more of the photographs with you in upcoming blogs. Stay tuned.

No comments: