Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Postcard from Southern Utah – It’s the Rocks



While on my trip through Utah and Northern Arizona, I realized I spent most of my time photographing rocks. I have hundreds of photographs from this trip, and about 90% of them are rocks! Now, I realize that’s being a little simplistic, but still there is truth here.

Of course, these are not just ordinary rocks…they are spectacular rocks and formations of a shapes and colors that can only be found here in the Southwest. And when you start seeing all these fantastic rocks, your camera just goes crazy…you want to photograph every one of them.

These are just two examples of fascinating rock formations in the Calf Creek Canyon area along Highway 12. The striations and swirls are breathtaking, each layer representing a geological moment in time. I wish I could interpret what each layer meant and how old the rock is. Sadly, geology is not one of my strong points. All I can do is enjoy the view and marvel at Mother Nature’s creations.

As the retelling of my journey continues, you will see many more interesting large rock formations and cliffs. I will try not to bore you and endeavor to make each photograph displayed be interesting. For this edition, I just wanted to focus on a couple of rocks without much of the accompanying scenery.

By the way, I will have to suspend my blogging for about a week as I head out tomorrow for Blythe, CA. I am helping my son and his wife move to their new home in Yuma. Will probably stay over for the Thanksgiving Holiday. And yes, it has a pool! Be back soon.

No comments: